Though the corporate received its begin making stitching machines, electronics producer Brother has turn out to be one of many largest names in printers, competing with long-established manufacturers like HP, Epson, and Canon. Brother has made a distinct segment for itself within the printer market with affordability and ease of use, so for those who want a printer that may produce high-quality output with out breaking the financial institution, Brother printers are one of the best place to begin.
Learn our purchasing information for our tackle Brother printers – the options you must search for, the specs that matter, and the “gotchas” to keep away from – and also you’ll be all set to seek out the mannequin that’s good for you.
The primary determination to make when shopping for a Brother printer is whether or not you need one which prints with ink or one which prints with toner. Each have pluses and minuses.
Ink printers are extra inexpensive than laser printers, and substitute ink can also be cheaper than laser toner. Ink printers go away pages moist, which may result in smearing earlier than the ink dries, particularly for those who’re printing photographs. Should you do a variety of printing in colour, otherwise you don’t have some huge cash to spend, an ink printer remains to be a strong alternative.
Laser printers are pricier however usually print quicker and with much less threat of print imperfections. Coloration laser printers are particularly costly, and so is the toner, so some laser printers have excessive ongoing prices. Should you want a printer for every day use or don’t want a colour printer, Brother has a number of laser fashions which are surprisingly inexpensive.
Most printer producers present pages of statistics about every mannequin, however when it comes all the way down to it, there are three specs that matter essentially the most. Once you’re evaluating Brother printers, pay shut consideration to those key stats.
- Dots per inch (dpi): It is a measurement of the decision of a picture or textual content that a printer can produce. For print work, a decrease quantity (akin to 200 dpi) is ok for readable textual content, however for photos or photos, the next quantity (akin to 2,400 dpi) is beneficial.
- Pages per minute (ppm): This describes how shortly the printer can print. Should you print a variety of lengthy paperwork, this mainly equates to how lengthy you’ll be ready, so it’s worthwhile listening to which fashions have quicker ppm charges.
- Pages per ink or toner cartridge: That is an estimate of the variety of pages you possibly can count on to print out of a single ink or toner cartridge earlier than it’s important to exchange it. Ink and toner are each fairly costly, so the upper the quantity the higher.
Brother gives a big selection of printers, every with a special set of useful options, however some are higher than others. Listed below are the options we take into account important.
Wi-fi printing: What was once a luxurious has shortly turn out to be a naked important. Brother printers with wi-fi printing allow you to ship photographs or paperwork instantly out of your iOS or Android smartphone to be printed instantly. Should you spend extra time in your telephone than you do at your desktop computer, or for those who transfer round your home together with your laptop computer loads, wi-fi printing is a vital comfort.
Double-sided printing: We love saving timber, and double-sided printing is likely one of the greatest methods to do it. It additionally saves cash on paper, which can make a giant distinction for those who count on to print massive paperwork frequently.
Scanning and batch scanning: Whereas some Brother printers are “all-in-ones,” that means they print, scan, and fax, different fashions merely provide printing and scanning with out a built-in fax machine. Having a scanner may be extremely helpful, particularly in case your work includes signing a variety of paperwork. Having a batch scanner means you possibly can scan a number of pages in a single job – an enormous time-saver over scanning paperwork one web page at a time.
Brother’s printers are priced to compete with better-known manufacturers – and provide excellent worth in nearly any worth vary. You may count on to pay between $50 and $350 for a Brother printer, relying on options.
Cheap: Between $50 and $99, you’ll discover Brother’s greatest black-and-white printers (generally known as “monochrome”). Fashions on this worth vary don’t sacrifice a lot in addition to colour, so it’s undoubtedly doable to discover a Brother laser printer with issues like wi-fi printing for lower than $100.
Mid-range: Between $100 and $199, Brother sells fashions that embody options that different manufacturers cost much more for. On this worth vary, you’ll see strong multifunction machines: Brother’s printer/scanner/fax machines which have laser printing, duplex printing, and WiFi. Should you want a printer that produces above-average prints and contains practically all the bells and whistles, lots of Brother’s greatest values are on this vary.
Costly: Between $200 and $350, you’ll encounter Brother’s printers for small companies. Printers on this worth vary are constructed like tanks and work properly in greater community environments with a wide range of gadgets. Should you want a printer that may simply deal with printing greater than 50 pages a day, you’ll want to take a look at Brother’s costliest choices.
Product in depth
Brother HL-L2300D Monochrome Laser Printer
The right printer for individuals who hate printers
Brother has packed a variety of high quality into this unassuming little laser printer, however the actual story right here is how simple it’s to make use of. Organising WiFi entry is a snap, and changing the toner is a two-minute course of. Should you dread coping with electronics and simply want a printer that may work whenever you want it to, that is the one to purchase.
- Analysis how a lot substitute ink or toner prices for every mannequin you’re contemplating. Most printer producers aren’t actually within the printer enterprise. They’re within the ink enterprise. Should you discover a printer with an unbelievably low worth, search for the price of ink or toner for that particular mannequin and you could discover that some “superb” offers will price extra over the course of possession than fashions that require the next upfront funding.
- Earlier than putting in any software program or drivers in your Brother printer, be certain that your laptop even wants them. Many working methods can deal with Brother printers as “plug-and-play” printers. For years, laptop house owners have wrestled with putting in printer drivers – the software program that permits your laptop to work together with the printer – on their computer systems. Producer drivers and software program may be helpful, however these days most main working methods (together with Home windows, Mac OS X, and Linux) embody drivers for all kinds of printers, so all it’s important to do is plug the printer in. Earlier than you begin fussing with third-party software program, check to see what your working system can do by itself.
- Don’t top off on a couple of additional ink or toner cartridge at a time. Each ink and toner dry out, so for those who purchase an excessive amount of forward of time and also you don’t want it for some time, your spare ink might find yourself ineffective. Should you print fewer than 50 pages per thirty days, don’t maintain a couple of spare ink or toner cartridge.
Q. Will a Brother printer work with my Mac?
A. Sure. All Brother printers are appropriate with Mac OS X, both by way of Brother’s included software program or OS X’s built-in plug-and-play printer performance.
Q. Which appears higher: paper printed from an inkjet printer or paper printed from a laserjet?
A. It relies on the particular printers, however basically, laser printers produce clearer paperwork and are much less liable to the smearing that may happen on pages printed with an inkjet. Print readability is measured in dots per inch (dpi), so for those who’re attempting to check two printers to find out which can produce the higher output, the mannequin with the upper dpi is prone to be a lot sharper.
Q. Will photographs look OK if I print them with a laser printer?
A. Sure! Though colour laser printers are among the many costliest printers out there, in relation to printing pictures, they will produce among the greatest prints out there (though inkjets with multiple-color inks do an excellent job as properly). Simply watch out whenever you’re taking a look at laser printers. To ensure that pictures to look good, the printer must have a excessive dpi ranking. For colour pictures, we advocate a mannequin with not less than 2,400 dpi.