Anybody who works in an workplace spends quite a lot of time behind a desk. It’s inevitable. Whereas sitting might seem to be a fairly innocent technique to to spend your day, it will possibly truly pose quite a lot of well being dangers. A number of research have linked lengthy intervals of sitting with weight achieve, weight problems, coronary heart illness, diabetes, and different well being points.
The answer in all probability appears fairly simple — simply rise up somewhat extra — but when your work entails a pc, standing isn’t very sensible.
Until you spend money on a standing desk.
Because the title implies, a standing desk lets you stand when you work at your laptop, discuss on the telephone, or do paperwork in a cushty, ergonomic means, so that you don’t spend your complete day sitting in a chair.
When you’re going to buy in a standing desk, it’s vital to decide on the fitting one. Meaning getting the suitable measurement, materials, design, and different options so that you‘re as comfy as potential.
At BestReviews, we purchase all our personal merchandise, so our suggestions are fully unbiased. We additionally conduct subject analysis and seek the advice of with specialists like Matthew, an IT skilled and product supervisor with over a decade of expertise. Our diligent work permits us to cross alongside all the information it is advisable take advantage of educated purchasing resolution.
When you’re prepared to purchase a standing desk, check out the product record above for our prime suggestions. For normal data about selecting a standing desk, proceed studying our purchasing information.
What’s a standing desk?
Merely put, a standing desk is a desk that’s tall sufficient to permit you to stand at it comfortably whereas working. Many fashions are adjustable, so you could find the perfect standing top to your wants or decrease it fully so you’ll be able to sit for intervals all through the day.
Why do you have to purchase a standing desk?
- Standing burns extra energy than sitting, so utilizing a standing desk will help decrease your probability of weight achieve and weight problems.
- A sedentary way of life has been linked to an elevated probability of coronary heart illness, so utilizing a standing desk will help increase your coronary heart well being.
- A scarcity of bodily exercise is linked to many forms of most cancers, together with breast, ovarian, prostate, and colon, so a standing desk is believed to assist cut back your danger of most cancers.
- Standing after lunch helps cut back blood sugar spikes that happen after consuming, so a standing desk will help hold your blood sugar ranges below management.
- When you endure from again ache, a standing desk typically helps alleviate the signs.
- A standing desk will help enhance your posture if it’s arrange the fitting means as a result of it retains you from slouching or hunching over your keyboard.
- Some analysis signifies that standing desks can truly assist increase your temper and enhance your power degree.
- Research counsel that a standing desk can enhance your office productiveness, even in the event you use it for as little as 4 hours a day.
- Analysis has proven a hyperlink between sitting for extended intervals and untimely demise, so a standing desk may very well enhance your life expectancy.
How do you get accustomed to a standing desk?
When you’re prepared to change to a standing desk, it’s finest to ease your means into utilizing the brand new furnishings. Alternate between sitting and standing in 30 to 60 minute intervals so that you don’t get drained from standing all day.
A great way to make the adjustment is to start out your day standing, however then sit down every time your legs begin to really feel drained. When your again, legs, or hips begin to really feel tight from sitting in a chair, rise up once more.
What do you have to search for in a standing desk?
Relating to standing desks, you’ll be able to select from two foremost measurement choices: massive, freestanding fashions, and small, add-on types.
A freestanding desk is precisely what it seems like: a big desk that’s much like any conventional desk, besides that its top lets you stand when you work at your laptop.
These desks have the correct area to raise your keyboard, monitor, books, and different equipment, in order that they’ll all be inside attain while you’re in your toes. The desks can fluctuate barely in measurement simply as conventional desks do, making it simple to search out an possibility that matches your workspace.
When you’re buying a freestanding desk, measure your workspace fastidiously so you understand what measurement mannequin you’ll be able to accommodate.
An add-on standing desk is a small desk or platform that you just place on prime of an present desk to extend its top, so you’ll be able to stand. Some fashions hover above the desk floor, quite than sitting on it to maximise area.
Some add-on standing desks have a single, fastened top, which implies you’ll be able to’t place your computer elements at completely different heights. That may have an effect on the desk’s ergonomics, so you might develop wrist ache.
Materials and development
Standing desks are available quite a lot of supplies, together with wooden, steel, and laminate. Most fashions characteristic a steel body and work surfaces or cabinets made from wooden or laminate. You typically have a selection of colour on the subject of the wooden and laminate, so you’ll be able to choose a desk that enhances your present workspace.
The most effective standing desks characteristic a number of work surfaces or cabinets, so you’ve loads of area to your laptop, lamp, and different workplace equipment.
Many standing desks are adjustable, so you’ll be able to alternate between standing and sitting on the desk. Nevertheless, some standing desks are simpler to regulate than others.
When you’re on the lookout for the simplest desk to regulate, go for a mannequin with electrical adjustability. You merely press a button, and the desk strikes up or down.
A crank standing desk lets you increase or decrease it by turning a lever manually. It’s a reasonably simple course of, but it surely will not be the most suitable choice for people with arthritis or different joint ache.
Different standing desks could be adjusted in the event you take away some bolts and prolong the legs. These are essentially the most troublesome to regulate, although, since you should take away your whole belongings from the desk floor to boost or decrease it.
If standing alone doesn’t seem to be sufficient of a lift to your well being, you’ll be able to go for a standing desk that really lets you stroll when you work. With an connected treadmill, you’ll be able to keep cell as you employ your laptop, discuss on the telephone, and full different work.
Search for a mannequin with a quiet motor so you’ll be able to focus in your work. It additionally helps to decide on a method that tracks your steps for the day, so you understand precisely how lively you’ve been.
How a lot do you have to pay for a standing desk?
Standing desks fluctuate in value based mostly on their measurement and different options, however you’ll be able to usually anticipate to pay between $85 and $three,000.
For a standing desk riser that’s positioned on an present desk, you’ll normally pay between $85 and $150.
For a fundamental adjustable standing desk, anticipate to pay between $160 and $400.
For a big, adjustable standing desk, costs vary between $500 and $900.
For a big, adjustable standing desk with particular options, you’ll normally pay between $1,000 and $three,000.
Ideas and methods
- You don’t essentially want to face all day with a standing desk. Alter the desk periodically all through your work day to alternate between sitting and standing. Purpose for one hour of standing for each one to 2 hours of sitting.
- With a standing desk, it’s vital to get the place of your laptop display screen proper. Set it up so the monitor is roughly 20 to 28 inches out of your face.
- Once you’re standing at your desk, hold your mouse and keyboard on the similar degree so your wrists are straight while you sort. That may assist eradicate wrist ache.
- Utilizing an anti-fatigue mat beneath a standing desk promotes delicate actions within the muscle tissue in your legs to spice up blood movement. It will probably make standing for lengthy intervals extra comfy.
- It’s a good suggestion so as to add arm helps to your standing desk to take strain off your wrists while you’re typing.
- Apply good posture when utilizing a standing desk. Stand in order that your toes are pointing ahead and your hips are again, and use your ab muscle tissue to align your backbone.
Q. Are standing desk troublesome to assemble?
A. Standing desks normally aren’t any tougher to assemble than conventional desks. Most could be assembled in lower than an hour, although it will possibly take even much less time in the event you’re significantly useful.
Q. What top ought to I select for a standing desk?
A. The perfect top for a standing desk is determined by your top and physique sort. On the whole, a desk between 38 and 44 inches works effectively for folks between 5’2” and 6’zero”. When you’re taller than 6’zero”, go for a desk that’s 45 inches or taller.
Q. Do sure footwear work higher with a standing desk?
A. For max consolation at a standing desk, go for footwear with little to no heel. Be sure that they don’t put strain on any explicit a part of the foot.